“The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn.” Gloria Steinham
This course was a true revelation. I had to reexamine my instructional approach, my interpretation of accepted learning theories, and how I implement technology in my classroom practice. My students use word processing software to write journal entries and to complete written homework, and class assignments as well as use Powerpoint software to create class projects, but according to Dr. Thornburg, I was just using technology “to do things differently”. I replaced or “automated” my chalkboard with an interactive whiteboard; “automated” pen and paper with laptops and Dr. Thornburg questions this practice. Do these applications and activities significantly raise student achievement level or initiate deep thinking? Are the students truly engaged in learning a subject’s content? Do class tasks increase the students’ curiosity and their desire to improve their world (Laureate, 2009).
When I reexamined my classroom, I realized my teaching practice was more didactic than I previously thought. Even though my students use technology and Web 1.0 tools, I directed “the how” students would achieve mastery of a subject. I felt the students’ role is to complete assigned tasks, follow my directions and subsequently develop an assessment artifact. My instructional activities allowed little creativity or input by the students. Therefore, my high-achieving students cooperated, handed in exemplary work as my more apathetic students showed little interest and handed in mediocre assignments and were uncooperative in class.
In the DVD, “Millennial learning styles”, Dr. Dede discusses that students must learn and implement 21st century skills that include collaboration, technology expertise, thinking and problem-solving, and self-directional skills (Laureate, 2009). I ask myself if I implement these 21st century skills in my classroom practice. Yes, I frequently assign group work and group projects; however, my students continue to be disruptive, uncooperative, and indifferent in class. How do I gain their interest, motivate them to lead and direct their learning, and raise their skill and comprehension levels? Perhaps I need to change my perspective of the students themselves as students are not empty vessels, but do possess natural talents and abilities. According to Prensky, (2001) this student generation of digital natives are fluent in digital media and social networking that schools must recognize, implement, and expand their ability to learn and create using digital media and Web. 2.0 tools. I learned that a collaborative inquiry-driven learning environment is the best way to engage students and develop authentic learning experiences. I also learned that I must “do different things with technology”. I must become more proficient with Web 2.0 tools, weblogs, podcasts, and Wikis. In other words, “catch up” with my students; learn and collaborate with them how to integrate these tools and digital media into the learning environment.
My first instructional goal is to become more adept with these tools and collaborate with my students to integrate Web 2.0 tools and digital media into our learning environment. I plan to learn how to better integrate blogs and podcasts into next year’s curriculum as well as learn more about Wikis; how to design, set appropriate parameters, and maintain the Wiki properly.
I’ve always been interested in metacognition, cognitive research, and learning theory. Both Dr.Thornburg and Dr. Dede motivated me to reflect about I interact with students and how I understand how a student thinks and learns. I’m learning how to dialogue more with my students and allow them to create and initiate new activities for study. I am confident that I can redefine my role and be more of a facilitator/coach, a resource person to guide students.
My second instructional goal is to develop more expertise about technology integration, how to match technology tools with students’ learning styles. Which tool is the best choice to complete a particular task? This process will truly transform my classroom.
References
Prensky, M. (2001). Digital natives, digital immigrants. On the Horizon, 9 (5).
DVD: “Debate: digital natives vs. digital immigrants?”
In this program, Dr. Thornburg and Hall Davidon debate the validity of Marc Prensky’s digital native, digital immigrant theory
DVD: “Millennial learning styles” (Laureate, 2009)
Dr. Chris Dede discusses the learning styles of the millennial and neo-millennial generations
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment