To understand student’s ideas, interests, and misconceptions, I use a constructionist approach. I found that Learning by Design projects help students to construct external artifacts that they share with peers and experts. As students work individually or in collaborative groups, they create objects that have “real world” application and meaning.
According to Dr. Orey (2009), constructionist learning helps students to make sense of their world by achieving a balance. Students strive to be in a state of equilibration through assimilating or accommodating new information or experiences. As students construct or build artifacts, they constantly interpret new ideas and concepts and thus, create personal knowledge. Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn & Malenoski (2007), suggests teacher implement six categories of tasks: problem solve, analyze systems, develop an invention, experimental inquiry and decision-making help students generate and test hypotheses through a learning design project. This student-centered learning activity provides objectives which encourage students to test hypotheses using word processing and spreadsheet software and additional web sources. The teacher facilitates instruction; guides students using scaffolding activities, assign challenging tasks, addresses learning preferences and provides feedback.
I was particularly interested in the primarysource website listed in Using technology with classroom instruction that works (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn & Malenoski, 2007). This web source combines language arts and social studies content as students create movies, storyboards, digital stories, and rebuses. Students can respond to, What-if scenarios, make a hypothesis about what happened, and develop hypothetical interviews, narratives and additional speculations. PowerPoint presentations, gaming software, simulations, wikis, and blogs are additional computer-based tools that help engage students in the learning process.
References
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Bridging learning theory, instruction, and technology. “Constructionist and Constructivist Learning Theories” featuring Dr. Michael Orey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I missed the primary source website that you reference from the text. I will be teaching sixth grade language and social studies next year and the description of it sounds like a must-see.
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to having students use technology to create some things next year. Hopefully all of this reading on my part will translate into greater success in their learning.
Let's stay in touch. I usually teach language arts and this my 2nd time teaching both subjects. I plan to integrate more technology into my instruction and to use more learning by design projects. The readings and web sources have helped me plan and organize more efficiently. Now I better understand how to integrate concept maps and summary formats into my instruction.
ReplyDeleteKarla,
ReplyDeleteI like much of what you said concerning a constructivist approach to learning. I especially agree with your point about giving your students "real world" applications to go with their lessons. This is something that I really try to focus on in my classroom. I think that project based learning is a great way to do this!