I’ve learned that the GAME plan is an excellent approach that I can use for a variety of personal and instructional situations. The plan has helped me to track my goals and to further extend some of my activities and ideas. I’ve introduced the GAME plan to my 6th grade teammates. We’ve posted the steps in our classrooms and hallways as well as encouraged students to follow the plan to complete their class and homework assignments.
In addition to the NETS-T goal, to facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity, I’ve added the goal to demonstrate fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations. I need to learn the technical aspects of digital video and how to incorporate these digital tools into my instructional practice. At this point, there still exists a gap between what I want to do and knowing how to do it. However, I’ve learned that there are people who eagerly share their expertise and ideas when they realized how enthusiastic and committed I am to learning about new digital tools. My project has taken on a “life of its own” as more of my colleagues become involved.
I’ve always believed that I was independent learner, as I prefer to try new ideas on my own. I did not want to make mistakes while working with others and I mainly use a trial and error approach to learning new technology. Experimenting does have its merits; however, it is so much more fulfilling and fun to work with others. I’m not sure if it is just teacher “know-how”, the ability to divide a project into subtasks, I‘ve thoroughly enjoyed learning from my colleagues.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Karla,
ReplyDeleteI can relate to the gap you describe between what you want to do and what you know how to do - that's where I feel I am as well. I have also found colleagues interested in learning and trying the same things and they are wonderful resources. Good luck!
Carolyn Doyle
Karla,
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea to share the GAME plan with your colleagues. I love how you have posted the ideas in your classroom and hallways. The GAME plan has made me more aware of what my goals and how they are progressing. Sharing this type of planning with your students is also a good idea. If we can see the benefit of the plan, sharing it with others should come naturally.
Colleagues are often a great source when implementing new ideas. I love working with others to creates projects and new ideas, two/three minds are better that one! :) Sounds like your GAME plan is coming along nicely... Good Job!
Leilani
Thanks for the encouragement!I definitely agree that working with colleagues and students can be a great advantage, especially when they share shortcuts as well as explaining the "why" something works. When I can visualize what is actually happening with digital tools, it is easier for me to remember the steps of a new procedure. I always forget that one important step that makes all the difference.
ReplyDeleteI also plan to share the GAME plan strategy with the entire faculty. We are always in search for practical tools that will help students to learn to set priorities and assist them to use their time more efficiently.