How do I feel about people from other racial groups? Do I have close friends and neighbors in other racial groups?
My first interaction and lasting friendships developed during my college undergraduate years in Boston. The sixties was an exciting stimulating time as college students challenged the social and political status quo of the country. We attempted to blur racial and social class distinctions. We developed coalitions that shared common political agendas and action plans. Living, eating, dialoguing, debating, with White and Latino classmates helped change my perspective and my words. I discovered White colleagues were also passionate about eliminating racism, sexism, and other inequities. Schools also changed curriculum, classroom structure, and teaching methodologies. Open classrooms and community-run elementary schools became commonplace as my first teaching assignment was in a community controlled elementary school. In our awkward attempt to develop more inclusive coalitions and to develop a broader interpretation of race and gender, "people of color" became "third world" and I adopted the term, Black. I also believe" the term Black is more comprehensive because it includes people of African descent from all around the world" (Nieto, 2008, p.31) .
However, the world continues to change and racial and ethnic groups redefine their identities and political agendas. I've become more aware and more sensitive to diverse ethnic identities. My Jamaican friend reminds me that yes, she is Black, but she is also Jamaican. How do my Jamaican and Trinidadian students feel?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment