Friday, January 9, 2009

A Tale of Two "Cities"

My first student teaching assignment was in Boston's South End. It seemed that every student in my class spoke a second language, except for me. I specifically remember when a new student recently arrived from Hong Kong and another student in the class translated everything for him. This was ESL on-the job-training. All of the students supported each other and would translate words and ideas to each other aloud right in the middle of class. The language could be Chinese, Spanish or French. I decided then I needed to become fluent in another language.

My harshest experience involving racial conflict was during Boston's school desegregation nightmare. Teachers, White students from South Boston, and Black students from Roxbury were forced to racially balance Boston's schools. The residents of South Boston rebelled and boycotted. I still remember riding a school bus through South Boston, escorted by police for protection, as residents lined the street jeering racial epithets. I don't remember too much about that desegration period. I think I've blocked most of it out. I didn't feel angry, I felt more of a sadness that biases and fear drove people to act so extremely. (Also, any neighborhood that creates a Matt Damon can't be all bad). It was also a socieconomic class issue that the South Boston and Roxbury neighborhoods were affected and not the more affluent Brookline or Beacon Hill. I also realized there were 2 Bostons, the "college town" and "the town" with residential neighborhoods full of families who had strong concerns and beliefs.

After two weeks, I decided sunny Callifornia would be more to my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment