Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"Talk amongst yourselves"

“Can we work with other people?” is a question my students ask before they begin any class activity. I respond by asking, “Why?” and they always answer, “ So we can help each other”. This example of social learning follows the assertion that meaningful learning occurs when individuals work collaboratively to attain knowledge. Social theorists claim that students actively engage in learning when they dialogue and negotiate with group members and subsequently, develop external artifacts to demonstrate understanding. According to Dr. Orey (2009), social constructions include other people. The nature of collaborative groups encourage students to engage in conversation with group peers, which in turn, helps them reinforce and concretize meaning and ideas. Students validate answers, provide support, and teach each other.

Cooperative learning is an excellent methodology that incorporates social learning concepts. In cooperative learning groups, students work together to accomplish a common goal; each member is responsible for learning, teaching, and assisting other members. I frequently use web quests as a framework for cooperative learning. These inquiry-based activities encourage students to solve an “authentic” problem as they collectively research information, synthesize ideas, and develop a solution.
In addition, my students work in cooperative learning groups to create pod casts, Power point presentations, and iMovies. Other constructs, blogs, wikis, social threads, and game simulations support social learning, as students are able to communicate ideas and interact with others in a virtual environment.

References

Orey, M. (2009, March). Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology. “Social Learning Theories”. (Laureate, CD-ROM 2009 release).

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are integrating a lot of great technologies into your classroom instruction! I am also impressed by the response you get from your students when you ask them why they want to work together. I really like the idea of asking "why" when students ask to work together. Because you're right...they always ask! :) I think if we work with students enough about how to be productive in a group, and not just talk about what they are going to do after school, students can really benefit from these types of cooperative learning activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karla,

    I think that I have a problem in math classes when I try to put students in groups. It always seems that one person ends up doing all of the work because so many students feel as though they have nothing to contribute. Many students feel that they have no math intelligence at all and they just sit back and let the "smart" kids do all of the work. However, I do think that if I put some non-math components into the lesson that then some of the kids will feel as if they have some thing to do. I will try to incorporate some of the tools you mentioned and then the projects might have some more universal appeal.

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyler:
    I can definitely relate to your math students who "just sit back and let the smart math kids do all the work". Math can be intimidating, especially when you feel you should know what to do. You have a great idea to include some non-math elements into the assignment, or include an activity that will "gently" challenge them.
    Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magan:
    I've learned so much from my students by questioning them and by not answering their questions too quickly. I usually answer their questions with a follow up question. I would like to learn how to use Socratic questioning as an instructional strategy. It takes lots of practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karla,

    It looks as if you have established clear expectations for your students when dealing with cooperative learning assignments. The technology you are using in your classroom with your students sounds engaging. I would love to see some of the things your students have created. When students work together effectively, they can all reap the benefits.

    ~ Leilani

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that we will always deal with students that will sit back and let someone else do the work. It certainly is not a new thing, and not limited to curriculum that might be difficult to master. People are just prone to taking that "path of least resistance." I know that I certainly chose that route when I was given the opportunity on more than one occasion. It is important to start with clear expectations and continue through ensuring that all students must participate in a meaningful way in order for the group to have a finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karla,
    It seems like you have done an amazing job of incorporating technology into your group work! That is something I have been trying to stretch myself to do more. Having my students work in a social setting is not usually a problem and they actually do quite well with it for the most part. The difficulty I run into and that I have noticed in other classrooms is that the main source of social learning is putting students in cooperative groups. While this is not a bad thing, I think it is so much more beneficial to incorporate things such as the technologies that you mentioned as well as other methods of social learning mentioned in our resources.

    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karla,
    Do you allow your students to work with a friend or do you pick the groups? I have found some problems with both and had wondered if you have run into any problems with this.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karla,
    Wow! I am impressed. It is so great that you are integrating all the different types of technology that is available. I am very curious though, Do your students already know how to use these types of technology when they come into your class or do you introduce it to them and show them how to use it?

    ReplyDelete